HANOVER, Ind. – The Hanover men's and women's swim teams will welcome Manchester during its Senior Day meet this weekend.
SETTING THE SCENE: Hanover will honor five seniors during Saturday's competition, which is set to start at 2 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 5. The Panthers and Spartans will swim at nearby Southwestern High School in what will be HC's final home appearance of the season.
HONORING SENIORS: Four female and one male swimmer will be honored during Saturday's meet. Torri Boldery (Crothersville, Ind.), Audrey Masterson (Louisville, Ky.), Olivia Ramsey (Indianapolis, Ind.) and Bekah Wilhoit (Dayton, Ohio) will be the first Hanover women's seniors to be honored in program history. Lucas Miller (New Albany, Ind.) is the first men's swimmer at Hanover since the 1970's and is the first since the program resurfaced to a varsity level this season.
HOLIDAY BREAK TRIP: The Panthers used the holiday break to travel down south for a five-day trip. Hanover trekked to Huntsville, Ala., where they continued to prepare for the remainder of the 2018-19 schedule.
MEN'S FAST FACTS:
- Hanover has three head-to-head wins this season, including two against Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference opponents. The Panthers defeated Anderson on the road on Nov. 10, before picking up neutral site wins over Transylvania and Thomas More the following weekend.
- In all three wins this season, HC has posted 100-plus team points. The Blue and Red are also coming off a 108-point performance at the Transylvania Invitational back on Dec. 1 and 2.
- Junior Alex Maldeney (Fort Wayne, Ind.) has been on of HC's top swimmers all season long and is coming off a successful meet at Transylvania. The junior paces the Panthers in three freestyle events, the 50- (22.19), 100- (49.29) and 200-yard (1:55.42).
- Leading the distance freestyle events has been freshman Davis Guthier (Fort Thomas, Ky.). Guthier has season best times of 5:17.51 and 10:54.26, respectively, in the 500- and 1000-yard freestyle events.
- Freshmen James Moll (Tipton, Ind.) and Will Morgan (Lapel, Ind.) have also earned individual victories this season in the backstroke and breaststroke events, respectively.
WOMEN'S QUICK FACTS:
- Hanover has earned a pair of head-to-head wins in its inaugural season. Included in HC's season performance is a 107-95 triumph over Rose-Hulman, which came on Oct. 26 in the team's only other home meet this season. The Panthers also defeated Thomas More at the Franklin-hosted quad meet back in November.
- Both of Hanover's top performances have resulted in 100-plus point performances. The Blue and Red recorded a season-best 129 points in the win over Thomas More.
- Freshman Nora Miodrag (Louisville, Ky.) has paced the Panthers in individual victories this year with six. Miodrag's success has come mainly in the breaststroke events. Her top times are 1:06.41 in the 100-yard and 2:36.76 in the 200-yard. The freshman also has Hanover's lone HCAC player of the week award this season.
- Freshman Sydney Schulok (Cincinnati, Ohio) has been the top sprint freestyle swimmer for HC. Schulok ranks first on the team in the 100- and 200-yard freestyle events with times of 56.25 and 2:04.74, respectively. The freshman is also second on the squad in the 50-free, logging a best of 25.57 seconds.
- Sophomore Liv Loran (Fort Wayne, Ind.) owns the program's fastest 50-free time, 25.52 seconds. Loran has also shown success in the breaststroke, where she has clocked in at 1:11.25 in the 100-yard swim.
UP NEXT: After hosting Manchester this weekend, Hanover will travel to compete against NCAA Division II institution, Urbana. The Panthers and Blue Knights are slated to swim beginning at 5 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 12.
Contact: Tyler Jester